Policies and Procedures
Moon School of Music Policies and Procedures 2019-2020
- Commitment:All students must commit to at least one semester of lessons at MSM. Students who enroll in the middle of a semester must commit to the end of that semester.
- Students are expected to arrive a few minutes early for their lesson.
- Bring all music, assignment notebook, and any other material that you are currently working on with your instructor.
- Students should prepare well for the lessons and are expected to practice the goals given to them for the following week.
- Supervision is strongly recommended and necessary for younger students.
- Communicate with your instructor with any concerns you may have regarding weekly lessons. For any unresolved issues, schedule a meeting with the school director.
- Attend any musical events or concerts with your child to inspire him/her.
- Continually support your child in his/her music making!
- Each student will receive three make-up lessons per semester to be used in case of sickness, vacation, scheduling conflicts, etc.
- Any lessons missed due to unscheduled school closing or by the instructor’s absence will be made up and do not apply to the three-makeup limit.
- Make-up lessons typically take place at an alternate time/day within the week, or it will be added after/before the original lesson time.
- In order to receive a makeup, prior notice must be given to the office by 11am on the day of the lesson. If your lesson is on Saturday, notice must be given to the office by 7pm the Friday evening before the lesson. If you give no notice or late notice, you will not receive a makeup lesson.
- Makeup lessons must be taken within 7 days. Once scheduled, it cannot be rescheduled. Unscheduled makeup lessons will be forfeited.
- Makeup lessons may be scheduled with other MSM instructors based on availability.
- Contact the office via email: email@example.com, or phone to notify absence.
- It is the student’s responsibility to schedule makeup lessons.
WITHDRAWAL & REFUNDS
Students who wish to withdraw must give a written notification to the office before the 3rd lesson/class of the semester to receive a refund for any remaining lessons/classes in the semester. Informing the teacher is insufficient and will not be considered a notice. Registration fee is not refundable after the semester begins. If student does not come to lessons continuously for 3 weeks without giving notice, the student will be automatically withdrawn from the semester.
PAYMENT & FEES
- Payment Methods: MSM accepts Visa, MasterCard, Discover, American Express, check, or cash. There will be a surcharge of 3% for all payments made with a credit/debit card. Please make all checks payable to Moon School of Music.
- Registration Fee: A $25 non-refundable registration fee is due upon enrollment at the beginning of registration.
- Program Fee: A $30 program fee is added to the tuition for Fall and Spring Semester. There is no program fee for Summer Semester.
- Late/Returned Payment Fees: Late or returned payments will be assessed a $35 fee.
- Book Fee: Books are not included in the tuition and will be charged separately at the time of registration.
- Installments: All installments are due at the first week of the lesson every month.
- Family “Sibling” Discounts: When you enroll more than one child in your family, the additional child(ren) will receive a 5% tuition discount. This family Tuition Discount may be used when multiple children in your family are enrolled in the same semester.
- Multiple Instrument Discounts: Any individual student enrolled in more than one type of lesson at MSM will receive 5% tuition discount.
- Referral Credit: Moon School of Music values your referrals. A $50 referral credit check will be given to you and the person referred upon registration for the following semester.
In the event of inclement weather, we will post the official school status on our social media. When in doubt, call the school office at (703) 828-9494 for information. Check out our school calendar.
Once a student’s lesson time is scheduled, it will stay the same for the entire semester. Schedule change is only allowed when a new semester begins.
MSM faculty and staff are not responsible for supervising children outside of teaching time. To ensure your child’s safety, please be sure to pick him/her up promptly after lesson time. Parents, legal guardians of minor students and adult students waive the right to any legal action for injury sustained on school property from normal lesson activity.
Parking is available in the building garage in the visitor parking spaces only.
Touch is to identify tension, correct alignment, and help students develop their own kinesthetic awareness. This work is crucial for beginners, and essential where players have developed habits which require somatic (movement) retraining.
- Touch is limited: hands, wrists, the arms, shoulders and back.
- The purpose of touch is always explained when physical contact is necessary, so that the student is able to engage positively and effectively in learning.
- Physical contact is never used unnecessarily, inappropriately, or without consent.
Unless MSM is given advance written notice to the contrary, students, upon registration, give consent to MSM or outside media to photograph or record (video or audio) lessons, classes, and concerts. Please be aware that these photos or recordings will used for promotional purposes including print, website, and social media. All photographs and recordings are taken and used in a professional manner only.
Moon School of Music does not discriminate on the basis of age, race, color, religious beliefs, gender, sexual orientation, or national origin in its employment practices or in the administration of its educational policies.